What kind of experiments would a real scientist do in a 3- and 4-year-old preschool classroom to cultivate an early interest in science and math?
Hatch Early Education Experts teamed up with scientists at The Children’s Learning Institute at the University of Texas Health Science Center to create discover! Science™, a complete science experiment kit for early learners. All materials needed for the science projects are included, along with instructions and books for reference. discover! Science provides teachers with appropriate, easy-to-implement activities for the entire class or small groups.
discover! Science turns the classroom into a fun filled science lab. Activities support state pre-Kindergarten guidelines, EOG and Head Start Outcomes. Prepare young learners for kindergarten and beyond with easy-to-implement science projects:
- Nature Around Us
- Comparing Trees: Children take a nature walk, examine leaves and gain knowledge about growth, life cycle & more.
- Let’s Learn About Animals
- Creating a Fish Habitat: While learning about animals, children also help care for the classroom pet fish.
- Let’s Explore
- Understanding How Things Change: Children create physical changes and observe their effects.
- Wonders of Water
- Predicting Floating & Sinking: Hands-on activities teach the properties of water.
- All About Me
- Describing My Growing Body: Hands-on sensory investigations help kids learn about the different parts of the human body & how it grows.
- Insects in Our World
- Observing Ants & Insects: Children observe and record ant behavior in indoor and outdoor environments. Extension activity features building an ant farm.
- Wonders of Weather
- Studying Clouds: Through observation, children learn the names of cloud formations, how clouds form and how to predict weather conditions.
What equipment would a scientist use to teach science in pre-K and how would he engage the children?
Materials for each theme arrive individually packaged and ready-to-use. A procedure guide describing the specific steps for each activity walks teachers through teaching the Scientific Method with seven complete lessons. The kit helps the teacher to involve and interest children as they actively learn the basic principles of science and math. discover! Science includes all the materials you need to turn your students into scientists:
- - Exclusive, customized Procedure Guide for teachers
- - Books with Read Aloud Labels to focus on themes using questions and vocabulary words
- - Class Science Project display board to write questions, build vocabulary, follow procedures, test experiments and record conclusions
- - Poster
- - Picture cards
- - Field journal books for each student
- - Measuring tools
- - Magnifiers
- - Tongs
- - Eyedropper
- - Funnel
- - Manipulatives
- - Tempera paint